Apr 01, 2012 | Dan Thompson | 238 views
Brent Mitchell Hits Two Home Runs To Lift Jaguars
The University of South Alabama began Sunbelt Conference play this past week and got off to a great start thanks to Terrier alumni catcher Brent Mitchell.
In a 7-5 Jaguars win over Middle Tennessee State, Brent smashed two homers for three RBI. He is hitting .333 on the season and has been a big part of a recent five game winning streak. The Jaguars have made 24 NCAA D1 regional appearances and have been crowned Sunbelt Conference champions 13 times.
* David Head was swinging a hot bat this past week as the NE Colorado Plainsmen swept four games from Empire Conference foe Trinidad State College. In the final two games of the series David hit .400 with three RBI and two runs scored. The NJCAA D1 Plainsmen are 23-11 on the season.
* Lefty alumni Austin Huibers has two wins for the 26-6 Columbia State Chargers. Austin has struck out 17 in 18 innings pitched.
* The University of Maine Black Bears swept a pair from Norfolk State on Saturday. In game one, a 4-2 win, catcher Tyler Patzalek was 2-3 with an RBI. Tyler stayed hot on Sunday when the Black Bears completed the weekend sweep. In a 9-1 victory Tyler was 3-4 with two runs scored and two RBI.
* The Stony Brook Seawolves took two from NYIT Sunday. Shortstop Cole Peragine was 1-2 with an RBI in game one and went 1-3 with a run scored and an RBI in game two.
* Right hander Matt Betts of the UWA Tigers had a great week on the mound. Matt made three appearances in three Tiger victories. He gave up just two hits and did not allow a run.