Mitchell Leads #24 Jags Past Usm
Submitted By Dan Thompson on Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Terrier alumni catcher Brent Mitchell delivered a clutch two RBI single in the tenth inning this past week to lead the 24th ranked NCAA D1 University of South Alabama Jaguars past the University of Southern Mississippi. The final score of the hard fought game was 3-1.
Jaguar Head Coach Mark Calvi had high praise for Mitchell. "We've been using Brent late off the bench, when he doesn't start, when defense matters most.
Tonight not only did he do a great job defensively, but offensively as well. He's just an unbelievable kid, and I couldn't be happier for him".
The Jags are now 22-4 overall and 5-1 in Sun Belt Conference action.
Brent joined the Terriers in the fall of 2005 right out of Paris bantam baseball. He made the 18u Terriers roster as a 16 year old, and was a big part of their WS Championship in Nashville the following summer. Brent hit a grand slam in the championship final game.
He is a red shirt SR and is in his final year at South Alabama. Brent is hitting .333 this year.
More NCAA alumni updates...
*RHP Matt Betts sports a sparkling 2.00 ERA for the University of West Alabama Tigers. Opponents are hitting just .265 off Matt. The Tigers are 15-15 on the season.
* Cole Peragine and Tanner Nivins had the Citi Field experience this past week! The Stony Brook Seawolves took on St. Johns University at the home of the NY Mets. Cole had two hits in the game.
* Brian Doran leads the University of Maine offensively with a .346 batting average. He has racked up 27 hits this year and has also been stellar in the outfield. (.979 fielding %)
* Sophomore outfielder Jordan Mountford has 17 hits (.274), including 4 doubles for the Bryant University Bulldogs. The Bulldogs are .500 on the season, 9-9-1.
* Mattingly Romanin has stayed red hot for the Chicago State Cougars. He is tops on the team in RBIs with 15 and has a .356 average.
* Infielder Robert Grilli leads the Salt Lake Bruins in at bats with 103, and in hits with 36. He has 21 RBIs. Robert was 3-4 in a 5-2 win over Southern Idaho last week. The nationally ranked Bruins are 22-10 overall and 14-6 in Scenic West Conference play.
This article has been viewed 166 times.