Mar 02, 2014 | Dan Thompson | 279 views
The College Beat
Cal Quantrill picked up his first career college win on Tuesday, as the Stanford Cardinal came away with a 6-4 victory over the University of San Francisco.
Quantrill also had an outstanding outing on Sunday afternoon against No. 8 Vanderbilt in downtown Nashville. Quantrill worked five innings, struck out four and allowed just four hits and one earned run in the no decision.
* Terrier alumni are off to a great start for the Maine Black Bears.
Freshman catcher Pat Coughlin recorded his first career college hit against Stetson this past weekend.
Outfielder Brian Doran was 3-6 in a 13-12 win over Iowa and is hitting .303 Freshman Jake Osborne is 4-8 for a .500 early season avg. Both Brian and Jake have a perfect 1.000 fld%
* Mattingly Romanin was 2-5 with 2 runs scored and 2 RBI as Chicago State downed Lehigh 8-1 in Port Charlotte FL. The Cougars are 3-1 so far on their spring Florida trip.
* The Niagara University Purple Eagles split a DH with Bucknell this past weekend in Virginia. The Eagles have four wins so far on the young season. Catcher Joel Brophy leads the team in put outs with 35 and shortstop Geoff Seto is second in assists with 20.
* Bruce Yari is hitting .375 for the 6-3 UBC Thunderbirds. Bruce has 3 doubles and 7 RBI.
* David Head recorded his first NCAA D1 hit this week for the Northern Kentucky University Norse. David is a junior college transfer from Northeastern Colorado.