The College Beat
Submitted By Dan Thompson on Tuesday, April 1, 2014
BRUCE YARI LEADS UBC TO DH SWEEP
Terrier alumni first baseman Bruce Yari hits in the heart of the UBC Thunderbirds order and is coming off another fantastic weekend at the plate. Bruce helped the TBirds in a DH sweep on Saturday over Menio College. Bruce was 2-4 in game one and 2-3 in game two.
Yari has been racking up the hits all season. He is currently hitting .341 with 31 hits and 17 RBI in 91 ABs.
Bruce is also flashing the leather at 1B with a perfect 1.000 FLD%
UBC is 21-6 on the year.
* Junior Cole Peragine went 2-4 and drove in two runs including what proved to be the game- winner as the Stony Brook Seawolves completed a three-game sweep of Albany to open their conference play last weekend. Cole was 5-9 in the series and had four RBI.
Stony Brook has won nine of twelve.
* RHP Cal Quantrill went seven impressive innings against the Oregon Ducks(#11) on Saturday. Cal struck out eight and did not walk a batter in a 2-1 Cardinal victory.
Quantrill leads Stanford in innings pitched with 37 in what is arguably college baseball's toughest schedule.
*The University of West Alabama Tigers are 19-9. Matt Betts leads the Tigers in appearances with 14. Opponents are hitting just .250 off Matt.
Team mate Mike Morley is also having a fine season. Mike's ERA is 2.57 in 14 IP.
* Freshman outfielder Jake Osborne is now hitting .353 for the University of Maine.
* The Salt Lake Bruins are 25-9 on the season. Right hander TJ Baker has a sparkling 3.00 ERA and has allowed just eight hits. Shortstop Robert Grilli continues his fine play, hitting .321 while sporting a .915 FLD%
* Right hander Travis Laitar has made five appearances for 14-4 SUNY Cortland. Travis has a 2.25 ERA.
* The defending North East Conference champion Bryant University Bulldogs are 14-8. Terrier alumni Jordan Mountford had six hits last weekend in a sweep at Smithfield RI. He has also smacked two homers this year and has 13 RBI. Jordan was the MVP at the conference tournament last year.
This article has been viewed 239 times.