Mar 03, 2013 | Dan Thompson | 298 views
Romanin Has Big Game, But Doran's Black Bears Win
A couple of Terrier alumni went head to head in NCAA D1 play in Port Charlotte Florida this past weekend.
Infielder Mattingly Romanin of the Chicago State Cougars went up against his old Terrier team mate, Brian Doran of the Maine Black Bears.
Mattingly was 3-4 with an RBI and a RS, however Maine won the contest 9-5. Doran was 1-3 with an RBI.
Both teams will continue with Spring games in Florida until the middle of March.
In other action...
* Brian Doran was at it again on Sunday versus St. Louis University. Trailing 1-0 in the top of the 7th, with fellow Canadian Alex Calbick (BC) at first base, Brian stepped in and clobbered an RBI double to right center field, tying the score 1-1. Doran advanced to third on a passed ball and eventually came around to score the go ahead run. Maine went on to victory to even their 2013 record at 6-6. They head to Miami to play the Hurricanes on Tuesday.
* RHP Travis Laitar threw a scoreless inning in a 10-1 Cortland Red Dragons win over Staten Island.
* Robert Grilli continues to lead Salt Lake College in hits with 16. Robert had four more this week helping the Bruins win three games. They are 12-6 on the season and lead the SWAC Conference.
* RHP Connor Smith spun two shutout innings in a UBC Thunderbird 14-5 victory over Redlands.
* Second baseman Turner Spears went 2-4 with 2 RS and 2 RBI including a double in an 8-5 Thunderbird win over Menlo Oaks California.